According to Webster’s online dictionary, a diva is a distinguished female operatic singer or female operatic star. According to the urban dictionary, a diva is a bitchy woman that must have her way exactly, or no way at all. Often rude and belittles people, believes that everyone is beneath her and thinks that she is so much more loved than what she really is. selfish, spoiled, and overly dramatic. (Thanks Charmain!) According to Beyonce, a diva is the female version of a hustler. According to me a diva is a woman who carries herself with confidence and assertion and looks damn good doing it ;-). It took me a long, LONG time to get to that point, but I have found that life is so much more fun when you live your life by your own rules and enjoy every day like it’s the first day to something really big! Everybody has their own way of perceiving the world, but I want to share with you my perception of the way I view the world around me. I’ve been told that I am very unusual and see life through a completely more fun pair of binoculars than the average gal, but hey, life’s short, sip champagne, make lots of love, buy lots of shoes and take lots of pictures ;-). So, here’s the rules I live by. Hopefully every doll reading this will find something that they can tuck away in their purse for a rainy day ;-).
1. Accept that you’re a diva. It’s cool, I swear. If you think there’s a negative connotation to the term, turn it into a positive one by living your life above the “title”. Ya know, it’s funny, a confident woman who knows exactly what she wants and won’t accept anything less could be viewed as a bitch, but a man who does the same thing has cojones. Things that make you go “hmmm”, right?
2. Embrace that you’re a diva. See, the thing about it, is there’s millions of people out there waiting for you to figure out how damn fabulous you are so that you can share all that fabulous, sexiness with the WORLD! What are you waiting for?
3. Take pictures, because you’re a diva. I don’t care if you live in Minnesota, the key is stepping out as if the paparazzi is at your front door. I’m not saying that you need to don heels and a fur coat just to go to Wal-Mart (lord knows, I don’t), but always be camera ready. You may run into a group of old friends and decide to go to lunch, an ex with a dreadful looking new companion, or a “prospect” (wink wink). Keep your game tight!
4. Find your “cape”. There will be days when your sexy will be a 2 on a scale from 1-10. On those days, you may not be able to bring yourself up to a full 10, but with your “cape” you can atleast pull down a 5 or 6! You remember how Clark Kent was a shy news person, but became Superman once he dusted off his cape and speedos? Same rule applies for divas. On those down days, put on your “cape” to remind you that you’re fabulous, youre gorgeous and you effin rock! It can be anything, a pair of jeans that show off that illegally perky booty, a particular pair of earings that show off your long neck, maybe even a sexy pair of panties or a bra! For me, it’s any pair of stilettos I can find in my closet. Something about wearing heels forces me to strut whether I want to or not. By the time I get from the parking lot to the inside of my destination, I’m ready to kick butt and take names ;-).
5. Find your sexy selling point. Every woman had a sexy selling point. It can be anything from your giggle to your expressive eyes. Find what makes you sexy and work it.
6. Be the girlfriend that every other girlfriend would love to have, but only few ever get the pleasure to really know. Good friends are hard to come by. For some reason, girl friends are even trickier to tack down than dudes! Listen and respond when talking on the phone, even if your favorite show is on. Show up and ALWAYS be there when it matters most to her, not you. Be that boost of confidence when hers is running low, but also know when to be that swift kick in the ass when she needs it too. Be the type of friend that you would want to have. Nobody ever needs 20 close friends. Have a close bunch that you can devote yourself to. That way, youre not spreading yourself thin!
7. Always say “please” and “thank you”. A real world diva is not a self-centered, entitled, bitchy type. A real world diva knows that it’s easier to coax ants with honey than vinegar. A diva gets her own so she doesn’t have to wait for anyone to get it for her. A real world diva is always appreciative and gracious. A real world diva remembers what her mama taught her about manners and giving respect to get respect. There will be moments when you may have to be “nice-sty”, but for the most part, being polite is so chic and never, ever goes out of style.
8.Treat your heart like a drop top convertible. By this, I mean, let down your “drop top” and enjoy what the world around you has to offer. Leave the top down so you don’t miss a beat. Sure there will be rain, hurricanes even! But there will also be beautiful sunny days and spring time flowers. Learn what you can and enjoy the rest :-). You can handle the bad times and good times. Trust me, I should know ;-).
9. When it comes to your appearance, remember, what God gave you is more beautiful than anything you can buy. No matter what it is, or what you’re working with, God created it. You got a few extra pounds? Shoot you call it fat, I call it blessings. Sure, I was skinnier in college, but I didn’t have what to eat then the way I do now. God blessed me with a job so that I can afford to fill my fridge with groceries. Your boobs aren’t as perky as they once were? Take a look at that beautiful human being you brought into this world. The lord giveth and taketh. What you call wrinkles, I call blessed laugh lines. I’ll keep the wrinkles around my eyes and dimples. Theyre there because I’ve been laughing more than crying these last 27 years of my existence. You were fearful and wonderfully made, child. Hold your head high and accentuate your God given gorgeousness.